Directory, Learning Management System -- an evaluation of LMS solutions, software and services
Learning Management System -- an evaluation of LMS solutions, software and services
LMS (Learning Management Systems) are also called, CMS (Course Management System), or a VLE (Virtual Learning Environment). Research started June 23, 2005.
Software, Hosted Tools and Services
- ATutor -- Open Source Web-based. Feature list is published on front page.
- Blackboard.com --Popular learning software provider and ASP portal for education. Academic suite and commerce suite (presumably for buying classes). Learning systems, community systems, content systems. Here's an implementation of a blackboard portal which looks unused.
- Claroline -- a free GPL software package working with PHP/MySQL. A course-based educational tool which allows the teacher to create, administer and add to his/her courses through the web. (* site down on 20050623.)
- DotLRN -- opensource web based learning community management system. Features published here. Used by divisions of Harvard, MIT, Heidelberg among many others. Runs on postgres or oracle, unix and aolserver. dotlrn is supported by the OpenACS community.
- Ilias -- an opensource system from Germany.
- Moodle -- Moodle seams to be software a university buys, installs and maintains. Although, here is a Moodle service provider that will host the software for you.
- OpenCourse -- web-based online course content management system for remote learning and on-line learning.
- InteractLMS -- an Online Learning and Collaboration platform developed by the Christchurch College of Education, New Zealand. It is an open source cms, lms designed with the intention of making it easy for students and lecturers to interact online, based around constructivist and vygotskian views of teaching and learning.
- Syberworks.com -- SyberWorks specializes in custom e-Learning solutions, learning
management systems, and custom online training development for companies, governments, and non-profit institutions.
- Sakaiproject -- a community source software development effort to design, build and deploy a new Collaboration and Learning Environment (CLE) for higher education. The Project began in January, 2004. Origins at the University of Michigan and Indiana University, where both universities independently began open source efforts.
- WebCT -- a proprietary company providing hosting or software for some universities.
Other LMS Research
- jarche.com -- Contains a pointer to an Open Source LMS Comparison Report in PDF, which compares Moodle; Claroline and ATutor.
- kairosnews -- a blog entry discussing alternatives to blackboard and WebCT, which advocates opensource solutions for the education area.
- Google search for LMS
About This Page
I keep this page so that I can remember the research I've done. It's really for my own maximum effectiveness. You can use them of course, and please let me know if anything on this page is misleading, needs updating or additions.
Please feel free to link to this page so that others can find it, of course, it's easy to link to this page from your blog just or just copy the text below onto your web page:
<a href="http://wolfram.org/dir/learning_management_systems.html">Learning Management System -- an evaluation of LMS solutions, software and services</a>
Q: Did you know that you can bookmark a page simply by pressing Ctrl-D on windows or Alt-D on mac?
Try it -- Bookmark this page so you can find it later!
Suggest a Site | Wolfram